Changing website framework from Jekyll to Hugo

PUBLISHED ON JAN 24, 2018

I decided to move away from Jekyll as a framework for running this website as I had some gemfile problems (now ruby doesn’t work at all for arcane reasons) and I figured it would be saner, simpler, and faster to just stop using something ruby-based. The switch to Hugo took a couple of hours where most of it went into (i) picking a theme and (ii) making sure the blog posts still work.

The great thing about this switch is that I can now use the excellent Blogdown package to render the posts with R code in them. I’m so far very happy with this, my old workflow was very hacky, and I could never remember how to run the local Jekyll server. Blogdown simply renders on save and even shows a site preview directly in RStudio.